Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Three of a Crime-Game of the Week-June 24, 2008




Three of a Crime is one of my newer games. I just happened upon it while browsing my local toy store. It actually seems based on one of the first games I ever used in therapy, Mastermind. Three of a Crime is put out by Gamewright. I use tend to use it for about half a session or for quick 5 minute filler. I will often have the students work in teams of 2 so they have to discuss their choices. Kids actually ask to play this game!

The Original Rules:
There are 7 criminals with funny names. Each card pictures 3 criminals. One person draws a card, that only they look at, these criminals are the true culprits. The other player or team of players play detective and have to figure out which three criminals are the true culprits. They pick a card and lay it down on the table. They are told if zero, one or two of the culprits appear on the card. They keep picking cards until they have enough information to make a logical deduction or specific conclusion as to who the culprits are.

Modified Way to Play:
Skills Targeted: Drawing Inferences/Conclusions, Pragmatic skills


-I may use small post it notes to help students understand how to rule out certain criminals.
-I encourage the kids to line up the cards vertically so they can compare them in an organized fashion
-I may provide specific explanation and walk certain students through the game process. -I only have to do that a few times for most kids then they get it.
-I actually have a few students that can see the correct answer easier and quicker than I can. That’s an ego boost for them.


This game is a lot more fun than it sounds. I am actually amazed at how the kids get into it. The discussions they have with each other are wonderful. Three of a Crime is a simple game that can be a lot of fun. This game is recommended for ages 8 and up, up being the key word. Great game for kids and parents to play together.

No comments: