Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Such and Such-Game of the Week February 10, 2008












Such and Such is one of the newer games in my collection. The answers come in pairs. Every response is ________ and _______. Such and Such comes from Patch Products. http://www.patchproducts.com/

The Original Rules:Each card contains 5 questions. Teams or individuals take turns reading the questions to each other. If you answer 5 out 5 correctly, you receive 5 points. You can brainstorm but answers must be presented as a pair. Players have 40 seconds to answer 5 questions. If you or your team passes on a clue, you cannot go back. The first team to reach 30 points wins.

Modified Way to Play: Skills Targeted: word relationships, auditory comprehension, pragmatic skills, word retrieval, general knowledge of our culture


  • When working with a group I am usually the only one to read the clues and keep score.

  • We may play individually or with teams depending on the student’s individual goals.
  • I usually have to go through several cards to find appropriate cues that the students have a good chance of knowing. That is the one drawback to this game. A junior version would be great.
  • If necessary, I will rephrase or repeat the cues.
  • Sometimes I will play the game with them and make it the students against me. That is to show them that the answers are sometimes a little difficult and that I can’t get them all correct. The kids love it when they stump me.
  • These clues are fairly easy to read. However, if there is a problem I have the students spell out difficult words so I won’t see the answers.
    I like the idea that the students have to come up with 2 related answers. It makes it a little more challenging and the students start to think about words and how they can relate to each other. The relationships vary and involve people, places and things. I have only used the game in therapy for a few weeks and so far, the older students seem to like it. The only drawback is that I have to flip through the cards to find appropriate cues but it is doable. The variety of the cues makes it versatile when working with middle school aged language groups where the abilities of the students often vary. Such and Such is recommended for ages 10 and up.

Sample Descriptions: Click on picture








No comments: