Wednesday, July 23, 2008

WordBurst-Game of The Week March 8, 2008



Word Burst is a game I purchased through LinguiSystems, a company that specializes in speech and language materials. Word Burst is a word recall game. This game provides word retrieval practice using three main techniques: Visual Imagery, Synonyms, Word Association and Sound/Letter Cueing. I use this game with groups, teams and individuals. I may use this game as a quick 5 minute filler or for a whole session. I have been able to easily modify this game to fit with all levels and disabilities.

The Original Rules:The game consists of 100 cards, 25 in each of the categories mentioned above. Each card has 10 examples. To play the game you pick a category and place it in the red plastic sleeve, which makes the words visible. Then ask:

Visual Imagery Cards-Name all the things you might see in a kitchenSynonym Cards-present a word and have the student generate a synonymWord Association Cards-Name all the things that have to do with campingSound/Letter Cueing Cards-cue initial sound of a targeted word within a category (such as things that come in pairs, green things)
Using the grease pencil, you check off matching or correct answers or write in plausible responses. The kids find the grease pencil a bit of a novelty since overhead projectors are passé. Even the red plastic sleeve fascinates some of them even it is so old fashioned looking.I guess the idea is to tally up correct responses.

Modified Way to Play:Skills Targeted: Word finding strategies and Vocabulary, Pragmatic skills

  • I modify this game in so many ways depending on the students I am working with it is almost impossible to list them all.
  • I often review the word retrieval strategies targeted in this game. I have made up a set of strategy cards from the information provided in the WordBurst instruction book that I give to each student (see below)
  • Some of the Vocabulary is higher level so I may omit certain items or provide additional cueing.
  • I will write answers on a big board to get everyone more involved
  • I will occasionally have the kids write out their answers then compare
  • I let the students challenge me with items. I think it is good for them to see adults struggle with retrieval tasks to let them know you do not have to be perfect


    Strategy Reference Cards: Word Retrieval Strategies

Visual Imagery
Create a picture in your mind of the item or its associated environment. For example, for“Things You See at a Grocery Store”,You might say, “close your eyes and paint a picture of a grocery store. Imagine that you are walking down the fruits and vegetables aisle”.Tell us what you see.


Word Associations
Recall words by identifying related items such as objects, parts, descriptors and object/functions. For example, for bird, you might say, “nest, wings, fly, chirp” or “beak”.


Sound/Letter Cueing
Recall a given word by cueing with the initial sound or letter. For example for flowers, you might say, “It starts with the sound d.” The player says “daisy”

Synonyms
Think of a word that has a similar meaning. For example, for “big” you might say “large, huge” or “tremendous”.

No comments: